Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday- Updating Kitchen and Bathroom Hardware Cheaply!

Last week I mentioned removing my the door to my kitchen cabinets and it isn't because I have pretty, matching glasses and plates that I was just dying to show off. If I did I would probably leave the doors off because it does seem to make things easier. But no, the reason is because I had to take the doors off so I could replace the hardware. The knobs and hinges we have now are a very date glossy brass, yuck. The knobs and hinges that I have drooled over at the hardware stores are pretty pricey, like I'd spend hundred of dollars just on knobs and hinges...um, no. So I've decided to paint the ones I have.
First I went to Lowe's and purchased some textured spray paint. I like the hammered effect myself. (not pictured is the silver)
Then WB helped me do a few sample colors to see which we liked best.

WB stuck them on wooden skewers to spray easily (so handy isn't he?).

So here are our choices: the top left looks almost like hammered iron, the brass is the old, the bottom left is a hammered silver (appliances are stainless) and the bottom right is a sort of bronze color. We've eliminated the silver so it's between the iron and bronze...what do you think?

The good news is that this little project will only cost us a few dollars for the paint and it will really spruce up the kitchen. Oh, and WB really got into this and spray painted all the hardware in our guest bath. The toilet paper holder, toilet handle, robe hanger, switch plates, and towel hanger in the hammered iron. It was amazing the difference it made!!

For more great tips head over to Shannon's!

8 comments:

Life in the Crazy Lane said...

What a great idea to stick them on skewers!!!! I would have never thought of that!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I relaly like the hammered Iron color (top left)

Spray paint really is an incredibly easy and inexpensive way to spruce up a lot of things. Bravo to you for giving your kitchen a facelift!

Have a great day!
Kristin

My WFMW this week is Pack & Ship

Anonymous said...

I have done this, too. It really looks great when you get it done. I like the bronze.

Sarah W. said...

I would love to try this but am nervous, in case it does not turn out. I have that ugly brass, as well, (and do not want to spend the money to replace them) but mine have white in the middle that is a different texture. Do you think they would still work??

Pat's Place said...

I really liked the effect when I was there. My vote is for the bottom right knob! Gives me an idea for my outdated cabinets and hardware. Now, where-oh-where is MY handyman?? Oh well, he does have a few other chores before knobs come up on his Honey Do list.

Lainie said...

What an great idea!

Love the skewers!!!

Michael Paine said...

cute pumpkin baby! I want to take that one home!

Anonymous said...

I like the black.