Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday...Putting the Jolly back into the Holiday Season

The time seems to fly between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even when I think I have gotten started early each year, December hits and I am in a holiday extravaganza frenzy. The problem is my husband ends up walking around muttering, "Bahh humbug" under his breath and I find myself so exhausted by Christmas day I usually spend part of the holidays sick. So this year I promised myself that I was going to take some steps to simplify things. Our Pioneer Christmas theme is working nicely and helping things out, but there is still parties, baking, gift mailing etc. to attend to. So here's my list to simplify Christmas:



- Limit the number of parties you go to. Pick out the parties that are the most important and attend only those. Family friendly parties help to keep the kids from feeling left out. I’m not saying you don’t deserve a night out, just be aware that kids like to sometimes be a part of the fun. Also, don’t feel like you have to say yes to every invitation. If there are parties you have to attend plan on going for just an hour so you can make it home in time to tuck your children in before bed.

- Start baking ahead of time and freezing that Christmas candy and cookies. That way when you need it all you have to do is pull it out of the freezer and put it in a pretty holiday tin.


- Instead of running around the mall, try making most of your gifts at home. Baked goods, food baskets, handmade items are all perfectly suitable gifts. Dare to be creative! If you can get the kids involved it will be even more meaningful for everybody.

- Plan a night once a week when you set everything aside and just have family time. Pop in a Christmas movie, make some hot chocolate and relax.

- Scale back on the holiday decorations, remember keep it simple. Less to put up, less time spent on decorating and less to put away!

- Make a list of everything you need to do between now and Christmas. If you’re organized it will keep running back and forth to a minimum.

- If you have a large extended family try drawing names for Christmas gifts. That way you won’t feel overwhelmed by all the gifts you need to get, ship, and spend money on.

- Lastly, take time each day to just soak it all in. Count your blessings and enjoy the warmth of the holiday season.

Here’s wishing you a jolly, and cheerful holiday season!
For more WFMW tips head over to Rocks In My Dryer.

3 comments:

Audra Krell said...

Great ideas. I just turned down two parties yesterday, they aren't for a couple of weeks, but just knowing that I've given my answer and won't be attending takes the stress off!

kpottlitzer said...

just wanted to let you know that my training totally sucked today. i was not having fun. it was pure mental power that got me through. see, we all have bad days!

xo,
kim

Small Town Mamma said...

Good ideas. We seem to have ended up with activities on for 6 nights in a row! I am exhausted and we are only half way through. Poor planning, Sasha...