Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Art on the Go – BusPainting

I posted this last week on my Home and Garden blog, but wanted to repost here.  I love Kathleen’s work and it is just another example of artistry inspired by our surroundings.  I believe she paints peoples stories, just as writers write them.  The medium is different, but the passion the same.  I hope you check out her work:)

I was so excited when my mother-in-law Pat introduced me over the internet to artist Kathleen McElwaine from Leander Texas.  Kathleen does beautiful watercolors and on the bus! 

She commutes on the bus into Austin twice a day and began a series of watercolors entitled BusPaintings.  She says, “Early on when I began taking the bus, I did do some character studies of people riding the # 983 Express. But then I became hesitant, thinking that perhaps I might be imposing on a near stranger's personal space -- one's mobile sanctum. As a representational artist I constantly look for character … What are the distinguishing characteristics of people … plants and animals… skies or, landscapes?"

She now has an Etsy store and besides selling her beautiful artwork, she will create a watercolor profile picture for you to use on Facebook.  She did my profile and I love it. Better yet my husband loves it.  He thinks she captured my friendliness in the painting.  That was sweet of him to say, I’ll have to bake him some brownies.  Anyway, I want to share my picture with you.

wp_kara_facebook_rlface047I love it!  The picture I sent her was one of me with no make-up, wearing the John Deere sweatshirt my father-in-law gave me.  I think she captured my spirit wonderfully.

Please stop by her Etsy store or her website to look at her work.  I’m already thinking of some Christmas gifts and maybe a few profile surprises for a couple of friends.

Thanks Kathleen!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I love your picture, too. How nice that she did such a great study for you. And I love the idea of creating art on the bus. It sounds like something in a novel.

Jody Hedlund said...

Very cool, Kara! I like the expression she captured of you!

Kara said...

Thanks Jody and Nancy. I thought it was really neat too:)

Tana said...

Oh Neat! I'm going to check her out on esty!!!!

Terri Tiffany said...

She did a great job! I am amazed at people who have the talent and can do that.

Jill Kemerer said...

What a cool picture! And that was very sweet of your husband. Add some chocolate chips to those brownies!