Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Princess Bride And The Marcarena

I wasn’t exactly a Princess Bride fifteen years ago today, but I felt pretty close to it.  I didn’t have hoards of people at my wedding, or walk down the aisle of a huge Cathedral, or wear a designer dress.But, I did have all my family and close friends around me, a sweet old church that my husband and I attended while in college, and a beautiful dress. That was princess enough for me.

He couldn't believe it. "Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches! If your love were -"
"I don't understand that first one yet," Buttercup interrupted. She was starting to get very excited now. "Let me get this straight. Are you saying my love is a grain of sand and yours is this other thing? Images confuse me so - is this universal business of yours bigger than my sand? Help me, Westley. I have the feeling we're on the verge of something just terribly important." –Princess Bride


Pretty much how I felt walking down the aisle. That we were on the verge of something terribly important, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it yet. Not to mention that my husband is always giving me great explanations about something and I always have to ask him to, “please slow down, I’m still processing your first thought”. He seems to always be a few steps ahead of me. And as he waited for me at the end of the aisle his  face told me he knew the importance of this day. He got it. Either that or he was grimacing because I managed to cry my way down the entire length of the church. I’m not a crier, really. I have no idea what came over me.

“This is true love... you think this happens everyday?”

Nope, it doesn’t. I know now,  years later, that true love is a gift. It’s a gift you give someone and if you’re lucky they return it. I have no doubt it’s a blessing from above. It’s a gift you have to treasure, treat with respect, and realize the newness of the gift may wear off over time, but it’s still a gift to be cherished.

“Mawwage is what bwings us togwether today....”

Marriage brought my husband and I together 15 years ago today, but love, understanding, forgiveness, compromise, and faith is what have kept us together. Being a Princess Bride is only for a day, feeling like a princess in your marriage, well, that’s a lifetime of work.
So happy anniversary to my sweet WB. Thanks for making me feel like a princess on most days, and reminding me I’m not on others, ha. Like at our reception when we busted out doing the Marcarena. Pretty sure that’s not a princess- y thing to do.

macreanaweddingphoto

Any favorite quotes from the Princess Bride you’d like to share? It’s one of my favorites!

13 comments:

Aimee said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember your wedding. :)
The Princess Bride is "our movie". :)
There are so many good quotes from it too. I like: As you wish.

Jessica Nelson said...

Yay! Happy Anniversary!!! Hope it's wonderful. :-)

Coleen Patrick said...

Happy "mawwage" anniversary!!
True Wuv, indeed. :)

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary, Kara!
I absolutely love this line :
"Being a Princess Bride is only for a day, feeling like a princess in your marriage, well, that’s a lifetime of work."
That is so true!
Hope your day is magical!
Jennifer

Kittee said...

You look like a princess to me! Happy Anniversary Kara and WB

Kara said...

Thank you everyone:) Can't wait for the hubby to get home for our anniversary dinner!

Sasha said...

Inconceivable!

"I do not think that means what you think it means."

And many others.. happy anniversary to the Princess Bride :-)

Emma Burcart said...

That was very sweet! The only line I remember from The Princess Bride is, "You killed my fahter, prepare to die." Not so romantic.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I'll have to watch the Princess Bride again in seek of quotes... ;) It's been too long anyway!

Karen McFarland said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Kara and Hubby!

Each day, each week, each month, each year is a milestone Kara! It's a lot of work to keep it together day in and day out. But it can be done and 15 years is wonderful and special! I hope you and yours had a beautiful evening and it was everything that you hoped for like your wedding day! It is the memories of these special occasions that get us through the tough times in our lives. But memories are what we make of them. Congrats to you Kara! :)

Louise Behiel said...

Happy Anniversary Kara. how wonderful to be more in love today than at the beginning.

Marcy Kennedy said...

I love the Princess Bride. My husband has never seen it, but it's so entrenched in our culture that even he knows lines from it.

Congrats on your 15th anniversary. I've only been married for a year and a half, but I'm looking forward to the years to come. As much as my husband drives me bananas sometimes, he's still my very best friend :)

Nancy said...

You look great in your beautiful princess dress. I too love the line Jennifer quoted about working hard to be a princess every day. Exactly.

I totally love The Princess Bride. I also love quotes. I love when Westley is fighting Inigo, Inigo wants to know who he is and says, "I must know." Westley says, "Prepare to be disappointed." There is just so much wit in all of the action scenes. I love that combination.