Thursday, February 16, 2012

Conflicted Chef- More Brussels Sprouts Please!

A few weeks ago as I was walking in the produce section with my kids we ran across this.

IMG_3706a

Brussels sprouts still on the stalk from a local farm! The kids immediately recognized the vegetable due to their constant watching of Food Network. We snatched it up and began making plans for our dinner. In hindsight, I wish I had grabbed  several of the stalks so I could have frozen some. Oh well, next time.

Here’s the secret to Brussels sprouts kids love, or at least my kids, don’t steam or boil them. When you steam or boil Brussels they tend to get mushy. Most kids, and many adults, don’t like mushy. Roast them in the oven. They will get nice and crisp on the outside and soft in the inside, which is a perfect combination in my book.

All you need is:

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 2 tablespoons Olive oil
  • salt and pepper

First peel off any yellow outer leaves from the sprouts and cut off the stalky end. Rinse and dry the sprouts. Make sure to pat them with a paper towel because any moisture left on them will keep the oil from sticky well.

Next put in a bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss the sprouts around in the oil, salt and pepper until counted. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree F for 20 to 30 minutes. Toss the sprouts on the pan a couple of times during cooking. You are looking for the outer leaves to start to brown and get crispy.

Serve and listen to your kids ask, “More Brussels sprouts please”. Music to a momma’s ears.

This recipe received 5 really big smiles.

IMG_3875a

Did you know that Brussels sprouts contain sulforaphane, which is a chemical believed to have potent anti-cancer agents? It also contains indole-3-carbinol a chemical that boosts DNA repair in cells and also appears to block the growth of cancer cells? It’s a powerful little vegetable!

8 comments:

Ginger Calem said...

Awesome! We LOVE brussel sprouts in our house and we also roast them. These can be done straight from the frozen bag too if you can't find them fresh on the stalk.

Your picture made my tummy grumble. I want some!

Emma Burcart said...

We make them the same way in my family, except we sprinkle them with Emeril's seasoning and add chopped pecans in the pan. They are delish!

Kara said...

Ginger, I was wondering if it would work with frozen. That's great!

Kara said...

Emma that sounds delicious. I will try that next time!

Marcy Kennedy said...

Brussels Sprouts are not well liked in my house, but you're right. I think the problem is that they always turn out mushy. I'll have to give this simple recipe a try and see if we like it better.

monica devine said...

Never could stand them until now...I blend them in my VitaMix with other greens, frozen fruit and almond milk for a delicious, healthy shake!

Jessica Nelson said...

Hmmmm, I've never had them but am not averse to trying. Roasting sounds like a great idea! Thanks Kara!

Jill Kemerer said...

Kara, I'm going to continue getting my antioxidants from chocolate. :) Brussel sprouts are my least favorite veggie! But I love most others...why is that? :)

Have a great weekend!