Friday, March 23, 2012

Conflicted Chef- Emma’s Breakfast Sandwiches

I posted this a few years ago on another blog, that I had devoted to life at Cotton-Top Hills. But we moved last May and I no longer keep that blog up. To tell you the truth I still have a hard time saying “Cotton-Top Hills” without crying, but I’m getting better. But these sandwiches are worth repeating. They are super yummy and very easy!
My twelve year old is on her way to culinary school.  Okay, not quite yet, but it’s where she wants to go someday.  She cooks for us constantly and is thinking up new twists on everyday recipes.  This breakfast sandwich recipe was derived from a sandwich she had at a little restaurant in Galveston, The Lunch Box cafe.
For bread she likes to use baguette, but we use whatever bread we have around. This morning mine was on English Muffin. First toast the bread.  Spread honey over both slices and natural peanut butter on one slice.  Top the peanut butter side with blueberries. Top the other slice with sliced strawberries and walnuts.  You could use pecans, but we had walnuts today. Put the two slices together and enjoy.  It really is very yummy and nutritious, not to mention easy!
IMG_7448
That’s it. And it always gets 5 stars in my house. Of course the hubby needs some sort of meat with it usually or a protein shake. I, personally, am good with the peanut butter and nuts fulfilling my protein source. But to each his own!

What’s your favorite breakfast sandwich? And don't forget to enter my Wildflower Canvas Photo give-away. I'll pick the winner on Monday morning!

6 comments:

Coleen Patrick said...

That looks delicious Kara! My quick go to breakfast is usually a toasted gluten free flax waffle with applesauce and cinnamon. I haven't found a gf bread I like yet :)

Terri Tiffany said...

I think I have that same plate:)) How nice your daughter loves to cook! Mine used to always bake with me but didn't like making real meals.

Emma Burcart said...

A breakfast sandwhich with my name on it! How fun! It sounds delish, except for the blueberries. I would do it with raspberries instead. Yum, yum.

Karen McFarland said...

Kara, I love your daughter! What a wonderful attitude about food. Cooking and making it fun. And an easy healthy breakfast is fantastic! I can't wait to try it. And FYI, Coleen, a great GF bread to try is Udi's! It tastes so good. So that's what I plan to use when making this. Thanks! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooh that looks good!

My kiddo likes it when I toast an english muffin and put a fried egg, a slice of cheese and Candadian bacon inbetween. She's a real meatarian. LOL

Nancy said...

That sandwich looks delicious. And I think I could make it. What a fresh and lovely picture it makes.

Hope your daughter keeps her dreams. I have a nephew who is a chef. He just kept at it and he made it.