Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Roaring Lions ,Cracking Rocks, and Other Gems from Proverbs

My blogging friend Warren Baldwin, has written a wonderful book by the above title. It is a guide to life through the teachings found in Proverbs and I have thoroughly enjoyed it!



Warrren writes, "The real aim of Proverbs is not to equip us with witty sayings to help us function more professionally in the world; it is to promote godly character so that we can enjoy virtuous relationships with God and people".



As I grow older and am trying to raise my family in a Godly way I often feel at a loss as to how to proceed. I've realized that as I strive to better myself, make myself a better disciple of God, that in turn I become a better role model and parent. This is so important because I know you lead by example. But there are days I hang my head in defeat knowing I didn't make the best choices that day and wondering where I can turn to find guidance. More and more I realize that we do indeed have an instruction book, it's called the Bible, and proverbs is full of ways to set a good example for your children.

Proverbs 4:10-12 says "Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble."

Warren uses this proverb to explain "We can't just tell our kids what to do. We need to explain, to show and to help them..." Sometimes my most frustrating moments as a parent comes when I ask my children to do something, something they are not familiar with, and then get upset when it is done wrong. But if I don't first set the example then I am not teaching them. This needs to be done with chores, schoolwork, and most importantly in the ways of being good followers of Christ.

For each proverb Warren quotes is a heartwarming real life story or situation to go along with it. This really helps to bring the scripture "home". I've found myself nodding in agreement, reflecting, and starring some scriptures that speak to me at the moment.

I hope you get a chance to visit Warrens blog, Family Fountain, which speaks on many subjects involving faith and family. I also hope you go to his site and pick up one of his books. Mine has a special place next to my bible and meditation journal.

Is there a scripture in Proverbs that speaks to you?





10 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Great review Kara! I have his book but have been really bad because I haven't read it yet. I want to too, I'm just not good with non-fiction and I should make it more of a priority.
Proverbs is a wonderful book. It's my husband's favorite one. I'm looking forward to reading Warren's book and learning how to apply Proverbs more practically to my lifestyle.
Thanks for sharing!

Kara said...

Jessica, I think you'll really like it. I put this in the car so whenever I was out and having to wait on kids etc. I had it to read. I hadn't explored Proverbs too much so it's been wonderful:)

Warren Baldwin said...

Wow, Kara, thanks for this very nice review. I'm glad Proverbs and Roaring Lions has resonated with you!

I like your comment to Jessica that you took it with you in the car so you'd have something to read. I do that, too, with other books. These chapters are short enough you can read one or two pretty quickly. I think I also wrote a few of these chapters sitting in a car waiting on my kids!

Thank you again. If it is ok, I'll link this article on my blog.

Warren

Kara said...

Warren you are very welcome! I meant to send you an e-mail last night after I finished this post, but realized I forgot:)

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I'm working my way through this book right now. It is so insightful and really makes you think.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow. I must get his book. Thanks.

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh yes! I love the entire section of the Godly woman. It wraps up what I strive for in my own life. Thanks for the uplifting message!

Terri Tiffany said...

I amabout halfway through it! He did a great job bringing in examples that are easy to understand and encouraging!

Aimee said...

I love proverbs. Sounds like a great book!

Warren Baldwin said...

Kara,
I just added a link to this on my blog, if that is ok.

Also, I am doing a writing project on Proverbs for high school age youth. I'm emailing material out once a week. Care if I add your name to the list?
wb