Thursday, January 28, 2010

Staying Warm






Well, we are in the midst of a winter storm. We were warned it was coming and just like promised it arrived early this morning. First with sleet, then with snow. It is not yet 10:00 AM and we are already in a winter wonderland.

The fire is crackling in my fireplace across the room, it is pretty but doesn't give off much heat. I miss my super duper heating fireplace in our old house. That fireplace could virtually heat almost the entire house. There is something to be said about little brick houses that were built in the 1950's. My kids are frantically duct taping an old plastic sled. I now regret not buying that super duper sled that was on clearance at Target the other day. Oh well, I was just being hopeful that spring was on it's way I guess. But there will be no sledding until the snow stops blowing in horizontally and the wind chill reaches the double digits! I do not need 3 frozen Popsicles on my hands.

It would be a great day for snuggling up to read or write. But I think I will have my hands full keeping the troops entertained. Maybe this afternoon I will get a chance to curl up for some me time, we'll see.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

11 comments:

Aimee said...

Brrrr! Its rainy and a little cold here, but it is suppose to get much colder. We won't be getting any of your snow though.

Jessica Nelson said...

Sunny, blue skies, in the 60s. :-)

I wish I had your snow though! How beautiful. I hope your house stays warm enough.

Terri Tiffany said...

I just watched the news tonight and saw about all that ice and next the snow! ugh! Stay safe and warm.
It's awesome weather here now:)) Sorry--had to tell you.

Kara said...

We are staying warm enought. We have been blessed so far with no power outages. But I am dreaming of your Florida weather!

Small Town Mamma said...

well it has rained for the last 2 weeks in my part of Australia!

I sympathise re keeping kids entertained... I used to love monsoon rains. Now it is just a struggle to keep N & R from driving me crazy!

Love the snow pictures......

Pat's Place said...

Brrrrr! It rained a bit last night, then it cleared off as your cold air came roaring in...Brrr!

Poppy said...

We are having an overcast day, typical for Washington State this time of year. The winter so far, has been warmer than normal. All of my spring flower bulbs are coming up about a month early.

Nancy said...

We are having a sunny, very cold, small snowfall type winter in lower, eastern Mi. That's my type of winter. Your blizzard does look cozy and inviting. Hope you stay warm. Also, I love snowbound days with the kids. Have fun.

Jill Kemerer said...

We lose a sled every year. I always regret not purchasing the clearance ones!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Saturday the weatherman said a dusting of snow. Well, NINE inches later... the kids had a blast playing in it. :)

Anonymous said...

We stayed warm and we have been playing in it but still.... BRRRR!