Wednesday, November 9, 2011

When A Soldier Is Wounded…

op_homefront_www
I try to imagine what it would be like to send my husband off to work and know that while he is away he will be putting himself in danger. He may not come home alive. Thousands of women face this each year as they send their soldier husbands off to areas in our world that need defending. They put their life on the line to protect our freedoms and liberties. Because they do their job, I’m able to tuck my children into bed each night safe and sound.
So imagine that you receive word that your husband has been badly wounded. He could have died, but he survived and after months of therapy will be coming home. Now imagine  that same country that you defended, which may welcome you home with parades, doesn’t offer adequate health insurance to continue your rehabilitation. Doesn’t seem right does it?
In honor of Veterans Day I’d like to direct you to a woman’s blog I have been following. She writes about her life, her struggles with her wounded warrior husband, and it will touch your heart. Please take a moment today to go read her blog at http://wifeofawoundedsoldier.blogspot.com/
Also, here is a link to two of my favorite sites for Wounded Soldiers.
http://www.operationhomefront.net/default.aspx
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
To all the soldiers, men and women,  that fought to protect my freedoms, thank you and I wish you a Happy Veterans Day on the 11th!
Do you have a special soldier you would like to thank? Do you do anything special to celebrate Veterans Day?

6 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Wow, I'm surprised. I would assume that the government would pay for a soldier's recovery. :-(
I'm not for gov't insurance, but I do think those serving our country with their lives (police, soldiers, etc) should have adequate coverage.

I don't do anything on Veterans day but I am thankful for those who've served.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Oh, this is already breaking my heart. I've got to head over there and hear her story.

Kara said...

Eileen, her story is very moving. And the sad thing is I think she represents just one of many families out there struggling with the same issues. Jessica, we are so lucky to live in this country and there are many wonderful things about it. But I think, in the case of our veterans, there is much work needed to be done. I had no idea of some of the issues returning soldiers face until recently.

Coleen Patrick said...

I am off to check out those sites. Thanks Kara!!

Anonymous said...

Someone I was good friends with in elementary school married a soldier. They had a son together and he was killed in Afghanistan last year. It breaks my heart to think of her family.

Nancy said...

Yes, I want to honor my dad who was in World War two and my nephew who was recently in the Marines. Thank you for your service.