Friday, October 5, 2007

Holiday Recipes





I found my way to Overwhelmed's neat blog. She is hosting a holdiay recipe exchange and I figure it is never to early to start testing and planning some new holiday recipes! So today I'm going to post my husband's very yummy mashed potato recipe. Around here calories don't count on the holidays! For more recipes head over to Overwelmed's site:)
Garlic Mashed Potatoes

1 head of garlic (~10 cloves)1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds potatoes (Yukon gold works well; red potatoes also work good)
1 stick butter, cubed
1 package cream cheese, cubed
Salt and pepper

Cut potatoes into cubes about 1” on a side. I like to leave the skin on but it may be removed if preferred. Place in pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Chop garlic fine and saute’ in olive oil. Remove the pot with the potatoes from the heat and drain. Place the potatoes back in the pot and return to the heat. Stir the potatoes, constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes to dehydrate the potatoes. Remove the potatoes from the heat. Add the garlic and butter. Using a hand-held masher, mash the butter and garlic into the potatoes. Mash in cream cheese . The potatoes should still be sort of lumpy. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Small Town Mamma said...

Mmmm... that sounds delicious! Why wait till the holidays to try it - think I will put garlic on the shopping list this week!

Smockity Frocks said...

I love your blog's new look!

Amy said...

I was here for WFMW and noticed your Holiday Cooking post. (I did one of those too!) :)
Anyway...garlic and cream cheese...how can you go wrong!? Sounds great! :)

Anonymous said...

Just so that there is no confusion; this is not a recipe for the health nuts out there. But these potatoes are sinfully delicious!

-Hubby