Saturday, November 24, 2007

I am deeply disturbed...

So have I ever told you about my seven year old's amazing ability to catch flies? Yes, it's true, since she was about 2 she has been able to pluck flies out of air. Well, maybe not out of air, but she could catch them like this as they tried to fly off a window etc. Many times she would come to me holding a fly. I thought she was picking up dead flies, but then she'd say "No, mommy look" as she would let it go and the fly would zoom off. That's pretty darn talented if you ask me.

So today she comes into the nursery as Little One and I sit playing and says "Look what I have." She slowly opens up her hand and there is a live fly crawling all over her hand and arm. But not flying away. Hmmm, is she now the fly whisperer? Taming wild flies to do her bidding? And, yes, I am cringing because former science teacher or not I would not like a fly crawling all over me. But this I do not say because I don't want her to think that I think she is a little weird.

"So why isn't it flying away?" I ask leaning closer to stare at the little insect.
Flashing me her gap toothed smile, "Because after I caught it I plucked off it's wings so it wouldn't fly away."
Happily she skipped away with her new pet leaving me to stare open mouthed after her.

And all I can say is I am deeply disturbed!

3 comments:

Smockity Frocks said...

Don't be grossed out, but I used to do the same thing. I read it's a sign of genius. It's true. I read it. I wrote it down and then I read it!

By the way, those little wingless suckers can HOP!

Amy said...

Lol! That is too funny... I didn't even see it coming!
Maybe she could get a pet spider and be able to feed it for free?

(I'm SO kidding)

Kara said...

Connie, thank you that is comforting. I believe you are right!!
Amy you may be on to something we do have plenty of spiders around...