Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday

So as a teacher I used to get asked during the school breaks, especially the summer, "So what did you do all day?" Now as a stay-at-home mom, especially with the first child, I would get the same question. I've talked to others and they sayit happened to them too and it drove them batty. Like we were all sitting at home watching soaps and eating bon bons. And I have to say the question was not always from hubby, but from other working moms etc.

So here it is the solution I came up with years ago. A list! List all the things you do in one day and leave it out on the counter where wandering eyes will see or carry it in your purse to pull out when the question comes up over lunch with your working out of the home friends.

Sample list:
Woke up myself and three children.
Made breakfast while nursing youngest.
Got kids dressed.
Found missing shoe.
Found matching pair of socks.
Helped brush hair.
Found and signed papers for school that were due today.
Got everyone loaded into car within 45 minutes of waking.
Nursed baby again once home.
Changed dirty diaper.
Cleaned breakfast dishes.
Swept floor.
Changed another diaper.
Called phone company for better rate, put on hold for 20 minutes.
Got dinner started in crock pot.
Ran to grocery.
Nursed crying baby in car at grocery parking lot.
Had lunch at school with kids.
Did a load of laundry.
Changed dirty diaper.
Took my only bathroom break of the day.
Picked up kids.
Got afternoon snack.
Did homework.
Put finishing touches on dinner.

Okay, okay you get the point. Put a check mark by each item for good measure. Not only is this list helpful for others it sure is nice for you. Because sometimes at the end of the day I look around my cluttered house and even I wonder "What did I get done today?" Then I look at my list and I can't help but feel accomplishment:)

For more great tips head over to Rocks In My Dryer!

1 comment:

Amy said...

This was really cute. I especially related to nursing the baby at the grocery store parking lot. I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me!

As far as sitting around watching soap operas all day.... I received a diaper sample in the mail this week, and enclosed was a DVD advertising one of the major soap operas on tv. Like it's a given any mom changing diapers is also watching soaps. I couldn't believe it! I was kind of offended by that, lol! :)